Last year we started what was intended to become an annual cleanup of the Reservoir as part of the National Day of Service on September 11. This year since large events are not in the cards and as you know we've been scrambling regarding the City Council vote, we were unable to plan the event.
We have one last advocacy ask this week. Not for us, but for everyone including yourself. We're asking you to do some things that are much easier but even more important to honor the day, the 9/11 community, and our country:
Participate in the 2020 Census here. It is vital that everyone regardless of legal status is counted so that our communities receive their fair share of federal funds to be spent on schools, hospitals, roads, and other programs that we all utilize.
Check whether you are eligible to vote. To register in New Jersey, you must be:
- A United States citizen
- At least 17 years old, though you may not vote until you have reached the age of 18
- A resident of the county for 30 days before the election
- A person not serving a sentence of incarceration as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this or another state or of the United States. (if you have completed your sentence you are eligible to vote)
If you are eligible to vote, check that your voter registration is up to date here. Register by October 13 if it is not- note that the registration form (here) must be mailed or delivered to your County Election official, it cannot be completed online.
Be prepared to vote in the November 3 elections. Try to mail your ballot at least 2 weeks early, or plan to use a ballot drop box. If you cannot make it to a drop box, you can have someone serve as Bearer by filling out the Bearer section of the ballot envelope (they can take up to 3 ballots). There are 6 Ballot Drop Boxes (1 per Ward) in Jersey City:
- Ward A - Public Library, 1841 JFK Blvd.
- Ward B - St. Peter’s University
- Ward C - Hudson County Plaza
- Ward D - North District Police Station
- Ward E - City Hall
- Ward F - City Hall Annex
Thank you, everyone. Our hearts are with the 9/11 community today.